Watch for announcements about STUDY ABROAD in Morocco!
The Arabic Studies Program
Major in Languages and Cultures: Arabic Studies Track (33 Credits)
Arabic Course Descriptions
A minimum of 33 credit hours is required for the BA in Languages and Cultures: Arabic Studies Track.
Students must receive a minimum grade of C in every course required for the major.
LANGCULT 200 and LANGCULT 400 are required for all Languages and Cultures majors.
Common Core: 6 credits
- LANGCULT 200 Comparative Cultural Studies* (3 cr.) prerequisites: none
- LANGCULT 400 Comparative Language Studies: History and Linguistics* (3 cr.) prerequisites: LANGCULT 200 and at least one intermediate-level language course or permission of the instructor.
Arabic Language Courses
Required Arabic courses (core courses) 18 Cr.
- ARABIC 101; Elementary Arabic I
- ARABIC 102; Elementary Arabic II
- ARABIC 203; Intermediate Arabic III
- ARABIC 204; Intermediate Arabic IV
- ARABIC 305; Arabic for Advanced communication 1
- ARABIC 306; Arabic for Advanced communication 2
Culture Courses (choose one) 3 Cr.
- ARABIC 211; Cultures in the Arabic-speaking World
- ARABIC 212; Euro-Arab Cinema
Electives (choose two courses from a. OR b.) 6 Cr.
- Humanities and Social Sciences:
- HISTORY 145; History of the Muslim World to 1405
- HISTORY 146; History of the Muslim World since 1405
- HISTORY 456; History of the Modem Middle East
- HISTORY 457; Early Ottoman Empire
- HISTORY 458; Late Ottoman Empire
- ANTHRO 440; Languages and Culture
- ANTHRO 320; Contemporary World Cultures
- FRENCH 212; France Today
- FRENCH 402; Contemporary Issues in Francophone Media
- Economics and Political Sciences:
- ECONOMIC 333; Intematl Economics
- ECONOMIC 340; Economics of the Middle East
- ECONOMIC 533; Int Pol & Relations
- POLISCI 376; Government and Politics of the Middle East
- POLISCI 181; Contemporary Issues in World Politics
- POLISCI 280 ; Introduction to International Relations
- POLISCI 345; Democratization and Regime Change