CHANCELLOR JOHN C. CAVANAUGH INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION AWARD
This award was established by the PASSHE International Education Council (PIEC) and the Chancellor’s Council of Social Equity, Campus Climate and Inclusion (CCSECCI) to acknowledge and applaud Dr. John C. Cavanaugh’s dynamic leadership. Dr. Cavanaugh served as Chancellor of PASSHE from July 1, 2008 thru February 28, 2013 and worked diligently to increase and improve international education experiences for students within PASSHE.
The purpose of this award is to provide funding for a PASSHE student(s) to participate in an international education experience including programs such as student and teacher exchanges, second-language learning, and educational cooperation between schools in different countries.
Eligible candidate must meet the following criteria at their home institution at time of study abroad departure:
Number of Awards and Amount Awarded: One $750 award is available for the Fall 2013 semester.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at a PASSHE university
- Must be a Pell Grant or PHEAA recipient
- Must be a resident of Pennsylvania
- Must be participating in an institutionally approved overseas program
- Must be in good academic and judicial standing
- Preference will be given to students who have no overseas experience.
- Complete the Chancellor John C. Cavanaugh International Education Award application
- Submit one written academic reference from a university faculty member
- Submit an official university transcript
- Prepare a typewritten personal statement of 250-500 words on the following points:
- Why did you choose this program? What do you hope to gain?
- Describe any previous international experience(s)
- If awarded, how would the money support your goals?
- Address how you would share your overseas educational experiences with other PASSHE students or the
community of Pennsylvania upon your return to campus
Note: Students may submit an application up to one year in advance of departure, with disbursement for term of departure.
|STUDY ABROAD SESSION||PRIORITY DEADLINE
|Summer Session Programs||April 1
|Fall Semester Programs ||May 1
|Winter Session Programs ||October 1
|Spring Semester Programs||November 1
Submit applications to:
Luke Springman, Director
Office of Global Education
NOTE: Recipients of this award will be required to provide a written after-action report to the PASSHE
Foundation which will be shared with private funders and prospects. Recipients are also required to
participate in activities and share their overseas experience with other PASSHE students and donors
(scholarship luncheon, presentations, information sessions, newsletter/paper articles, etc.)
The Chancellor John C. Cavanaugh International Education Award Selection Committee is comprised of representatives
from the PASSHE Foundation Scholarship Committee and the Office of the Chancellor. The award recipient will be
notified of the award by late June/early July. Unsuccessful applicants will also receive notification.
Chancellor John C. Cavanaugh International Education Award