Spring 2013 Dean of Students Office Sponsored/Approved Projects:
(The Dean of Students Office can only assign "credit" for programs for students who owe this office service hours)
What you need to know prior to completing your community service:
* All service must be pre-approved!
* All service must be completed on campus or in the Bloomsburg community unless prior approval is obtained
* Make sure you get formal verification of the service you completed! Click Here For Form
Fortune for the Unfortunate Sponsored By
M.I.N.D & Deta Sigma Delta
Donate items such as: Book Bags (5 hours of passice service credit), crayons, markers, tablets, notebooks, colored pencils, Pens, Children's Books, toothpaste, body wash, body lotion, deodorant, mouthwash, toothbrush, hair products, soap (one half hour of passive service credit per item- up to five hours).
Bring Donations to the Wilson House for DOS service credit!
Writing Center Workshops Count Towards Service Credit!
Earn THREE hours of service credit by attending, Writing With Sources & EPortfolio Workshops (to be offered throughout the semester)!
For more information or to sign up visit the Writing Center website: bloomu.edu/writingcenter
Write Your Resume for Service Credit!
For FIVE hours of active service credit write your resume!
1. Write your resume utilizing the provided rubric and resources. (You must have at least a 20 out of 25 to earn your five hours.)
2. Schedule a meeting with a Graduate Assistant of professional staff member to review your resume along with the rubric.
TRIPLE, TRIPLE, TRIPLE
Quest is seeking Volunteers to help with the many indoor and outdoor needs of the department. Contact Quest at 570-389-4323 or via email at Quest@bloomu.edu! Tell them you are interested in getting community service!
Distracted Driver/No Phone Zone Campaign
The Dean of Students Office is awarding students THREE community service hours for participating in our no phone zone campaign. To participate students need to:
1- Watch the "Don't Text While Driving Video" (linked below)
2- Answer the questionnaire and return to Student Standards
Click here for additional information on driving while distracted.
Click Here To View The Don't Text While Driving Video
Why Community Service?
Often, students who violate the Student Code of Conduct are assigned community service hours as a way of giving back to the community and learning/growing from the overall experience.
The Dean of Students Office strives to provide students with opportunities to participate in various service projects. Each semester, our office selects several projects to support and offer to their students.
1. Do something you like! Pick a service project that will be meaningful to you. For example, if you are an education major, you might want to volunteer your time with children. If you like animals, contact the SPCA.
2. Build your resume! Individuals looking at your resume do not need to know WHY you did the service. It's service nonetheless.
3. Utilize your resources. There are a lot of places in the community and on campus that offer community service opportunities. Call them!
4. Do not procrastinate! Get your service completed as soon as possible. Don't wait to try to fit in your service towards the end of your probation!
- All required community service must be pre-approved. Approval can be obtained from one of our graduate assistants via email <email@example.com>.
- All service must be completed in the Town of Bloomsburg, Columbia County, on the Bloomsburg University Campus, or be a Bloomsburg University sponsored service project (exceptions may be made but only with approval from the grad assistant).
- Required service cannot be completed with/for family members.
- You may not receive compensation (monetary or otherwise) for community service rendered.
If you wish to volunteer for community service hours with the DAWN office, please call at (570) 389-4980. At the time of your scheduled community service, you must first go to the DAWN office in 253 Warren Student Service Center to sign in. Upon the completion of service, please have a representative from the DAWN office sign your community service sheet.